Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mongolian Culture

For the White Month celebration, our language school gave us tickets to a famous Mongolian opera.  This opera is the most famous opera written by the most famous Mongolian composer.  So yeah, it's kind of famous.  Well, I hate operas and I speak very little Mongolian.  Have you ever been listening to an opera, think it's in another language, tune it out, but then find out ten minutes later that it's actually English, but you just can't understand it?  Well, that's me.  So I really wasn't looking forward to going to this, but we figured that it would be an interesting experience so we went.  I was impressed.  I really enjoyed myself.  Granted, the theater was made for Mongolia sized people, not 6'5" Americans, so my legs were really squished.  Other than that though, it was well performed.  The singing was much better than I expected, and the instrumental pieces were very enjoyable.  So, I guess I like operas now.  I never though I'd say that.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm guessing that you didn't wear a tuxedo to the Mongolian opera, but I'm sure you'd look good in a tux. Maybe someday in the United States. :)

Kevin Marshman said...

I did wear a tie. I was one of probably fewer than ten people in the entire opera house wearing one though. Mongolians like to dress up more than Americans, so I figured that I'd wear something nicer since it was an opera after all. John wore jeans.

Sara said...

Sometimes people overkill with the "dressy" factor. But I'm sure that wasn't the case with you.